Dutch footballer Quincy Promes will be prosecuted for attempted manslaughter and assault over the stabbing of a family member last year.
The Spartak Moscow player has been accused of seriously injuring a relative’s knee in an attack at a family party last July. Promes was arrested and held in custody for two nights while police questioned him about the incident last December. The 29-year-old midfielder has denied the allegations. On Thursday prosecutors said they had decided to bring charges of attempted manslaughter and assault against a 29-year-old from Amsterdam. Promes, who played for Ajax in the Netherlands between 2019 and 2021, has been named as the suspect in Dutch media reports. Prosecutors said the incident happened at a family party in Abcoude, a town just outside Amsterdam. Dutch national broadcaster NOS said Promes stabbed a relative just below the kneecap in front of several witnesses after an argument escalated into a scuffle. The AD newspaper quoted the relative as saying Promes “suddenly came at me” for reasons that were a mystery to him. The relative suffered serious knee injuries and filed a complaint with police last November. NOS said stabbings can be punishable by prison sentences of 24 to 42 months. The date of the court hearing is yet to be determined. Promes has said little about the incident to date, but denied any involvement through his lawyer.