2015 AFCON: Congo DR wins third place match….

DR Congo

Congo DR beat Equatorial Guinea 4-2 on penalties in the Africa Cup of Nations third-place play-off as the match passed without any crowd trouble. The hosts’ semi-final against Ghana on Thursday was halted after missiles were thrown at players and supporters. Only a small crowd turned out at Malabo stadium, the scene of Thursday’s violence, to see the sides draw 0-0 in normal time. Defender Cedric Mongongu struck the winning penalty for DR Congo. Equatorial Guinea were fined £65,000 for the violence following the semi-final, which saw 36 fans injured. DR Congo defender Gabriel Zakuani had called for his country to pull out of the play-off match following the trouble. Between 3,000 to 4,000 fans attended the 15,200-seater stadium. “The game passed off without any sign of a repeat of the problems that marred Thursday’s semi-final at the same venue,” said Cavell. “Those fans who did come were vociferous in their support of an Equatorial Guinea side who seemed calmer and more composed on the pitch and created more chances. “And even in losing the crowd didn’t show the same anger as on Thursday and instead showed massive appreciation for their heroes who have defied the odds to finish fourth.” DR Congo’s Crystal Palace winger Yannick Bolasie had the best chance of the first-half but he sliced his shot wide. Dieumerci Mbokani, the tournament’s joint top goal scorer on three goals, had a golden opportunity to put DR Congo ahead eights minutes into the second-half. But the striker’s tame shot was straight at Felipe Ovono after a jinking run by Cedric had set him up. Equatorial Guinea’s best chance fell to Emilio Nsue Lopez on 58 minutes, but veteran goalkeeper Kidiaba was quickly out of his area to close down the Middlesbrough striker. Kidiaba, 38, whose ‘bouncing bottom’ celebration became one of the talking points of the tournament, performed a backwards standing somersault in his goalmouth before Javier Balboa took and missed the first penalty. Raul Fabiani missed Equatorial Guinea’s second penalty while DR Congo’s players held their nerve in the shootout as they achieved their country’s best finish in the tournament since 1998.

Leave a Reply