The European Club Association (ECA) will discuss ramifications of a switch from summer in Geneva, Switzerland, on Tuesday (March 3).
The ECA has 214 European club members, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Celtic and Rangers. Under a previous agreement, FIFA allocates an amount of money to the ECA ‘in order to recognise the important part they play in the success of the tournament’. The ECA’s current agreement with FIFA has expired, and they need to agree a new deal with world football’s governing body for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups. “The decision is a grave error for European leagues.” Javier Tebas, La Liga president, told Sky Sports News HQ in an exclusive interview. “We think that we have been shown a lack of respect. To break up the season is an error. We do believe the World Cup should be celebrated in Qatar but in the months of May and June and not break up the European league seasons. We haven’t decided anything yet, it is seven years away.” Richard Scudamore, Premier League chief executive, said he was “extremely disappointed” over a proposal that was endorsed by UEFA. “We have spoken to Richard about this, and the other European leagues.” said Tebas. “We all disagree with the decision. UEFA should have thought more about its leagues and competitions given the amount of players that play in them and we have been affected badly by this decision. “We feel let down (by UEFA) as well, given we have so many worldwide players in our European leagues.” Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, ECA chairman, said earlier this week: “European clubs and leagues cannot be expected to bear the costs for such rescheduling. We expect the clubs to be compensated for the damage that a final decision would cause.” Jerome Valcke, FIFA General Secretary, said on Wednesday there would be “no apology” and “no compensation”.