Roma have announced the signing of Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny on a year-long loan. Szczesny, 25, passed a medical on Monday and on Wednesday signed a contract with Roma until 30 June 2016. The Polish goalkeeper made 29 appearances for Arsenal last season but leaves following the arrival of former Chelsea keeper Petr Cech.
Jose Mourinho has accused Real Madrid boss Rafael Benitez of “destroying the best team in Europe” when the Spaniard replaced him at Inter Milan in 2010. The Chelsea boss spoke after Benitez’s wife joked her husband was “tidying up” another Mourinho “mess” at Real. As well as Real, Benitez also managed Chelsea – although he did not directly replace Mourinho at either club. “The lady is a bit confused,” Mourinho, 52, said after Chelsea’s International Champions Cup win over Barcelona. “Her husband went to Chelsea to replace Roberto Di Matteo and he went to Real Madrid and replaced Carlo Ancelotti. “The only club where her husband replaced me was at Inter Milan, where in six months he destroyed the best team in Europe at the time. “If she takes care of her husband’s diet, she will not have any time to talk about me.” Benitez’s wife, Montserrat Seara, appears to have re-ignited a sometimes prickly relationship between the two managers, who have won a host of domestic and European honours between them, and previously clashed when they were the managers of Chelsea and Liverpool respectively. Mourinho guided Inter to a European and domestic treble in the 2009-10 season before he left for Real Madrid. Benitez took over and, despite leading Inter to wins in the Italian Supercoppa and the Fifa World Club Cup, he was sacked after six months with the team seventh in Serie A.
Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has signed for Major League Soccer side Montreal Impact. The 37-year-old left Stamford Bridge this summer after playing 381 games and winning four Premier League titles across two spells with the London club. Drogba is the Ivory Coast’s all-time top scorer, with 65 goals in 105 international appearances. Montreal president Joey Saputo said the signing made it “one of the biggest days in club history”. He added: “It’s an honour to welcome Didier Drogba to the Impact. “From the first conversation I had with him, I felt that he really wanted to play in Montreal. “His arrival will be beneficial in every aspect.” Drogba will be a designated player at the Canadian side, which means his wages will not be restricted by the MLS salary cap. Impact, MLS members since 2012, finished bottom of the table last season. Drogba follows former Chelsea team-mate Frank Lampard in moving to the North American league, with the 37-year-old having joined New York City.
Congolese striker Rudy Guelord Bhebey Ndey is in intensive care after falling on his head during a match. The 25-year-old AC Leopards captain was hurt in the 17th minute of his side’s Confederation Cup Group B match against Egypt’s Zamalek on Saturday. He was taken to the Air Force Specialized Hospital in Cairo and arrived “in a very bad condition”. On Tuesday, Dr Salah Abdelkhaleq said the player was doing better but it was too early to say if he will play again. “He had serious damage to his spinal column between the fifth and sixth vertebrae, a blow to the spinal cord, breathing difficulties and brain bleeding, but the surgery was successful,” the doctor said. “The latest is that respiration is now stable after instability respiration on Monday. Chest muscles have been affected because of bruises in the cervical spinal cord. “His blood pressure has stabilised, and the player is conscious and recognises people around him. “As the main problem is the bruise in the spinal cord, we can judge the case after he get days of rest and medical follow-up.”
Nigeria international defender William Troost-Ekong has joined Belgian champions Gent. The 21-year-old, who was a youth player with Tottenham, has agreed a three-year contract. However, he will spend the first year on loan at Norway’s FK Haugesund. “I’m very happy to have signed with the Belgium champions. I took my time deciding on my next best step,” Troost-Ekong told BBC Sport. “I thank Gent for this great opportunity and I look forward to joining the club at the end of my loan.” The Super Eagle rejected a big-money offer from Russian club Rostov and he also turned down interest from Spanish second-tier club SD Ponferradina and an English Championship side. He added: “I spoke with the Nigeria coach [Sunday Oliseh] and the emphasis was for me to ensure that I am playing regular top-flight football even if that meant seeking a loan move. “I’m thankful for his advice and together with what I and my management had in mind, this was the best option. “Going to Norway gives me an opportunity to play regularly and continue my progress.” Troost-Ekong, who made his debut for Nigeria in a match against Chad on 13 June, represented the Netherlands at youth level before switching allegiance to his father’s country.