Archive | July 20, 2016

Four-year deal for Portugal boss Santos….

Fernando Santos with the Euro 2016 triphy

Portugal’s Euro 2016-winning coach Fernando Santos has signed a new four-year contract. The 61-year-old guided Portugal to their first European title with an extra-time victory over hosts France in Paris earlier this month. He has coached Portugal since 2014, having previously spent four years in charge of the Greece national team. Portugal begin their 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign on 6 September against Switzerland in Basel.

Advertisements

Marco Cecchinato given 18-month ban for match-fixing….

Marco Cecchinato

Italy’s Marco Cecchinato has been banned for 18 months and fined 40,000 euros for match-fixing, says the Italian tennis federation. The 23-year-old world number 143 was found guilty of altering the outcome of his match against Kamil Majchrzak at an ATP Challenger in Morocco in October. Riccardo Accardi and Antonio Campo have also been banned and fined for their roles in attempts to fix matches. Accardi was given a 12-month ban while Campo was suspended for four months. Cecchinato, who is able to appeal, was found guilty of “several other instances of sports corruption” and suspended until January 2018.

Schalke confirm Leroy Sane is set for exit….

Sane is free to complete a move to City after Germany's elimination from the Euros

Schalke sporting director Christian Heidel has confirmed Manchester City target Leroy Sane wants to leave the German side in the current transfer window – and strongly suggested an English club are set to sign him. A fee of around £42 million is thought to be on the table, with City keen to add Sane’s blistering pace to their forward line ahead of the new season. “Leroy Sane has expressed a desire to leave the club this summer,” Heidel told the German media. Sane, 20, has been heavily linked with a move to the Etihad Stadium for some time. M.E.N. Sport revealed in January that City scouts had been dispatched to watch the winger on numerous occasions – and with new manager Pep Guardiola a known admirer of his talent, their interest has been stepped up this summer now the Catalan has officially taken over. Bayern Munich’s interest in the youngster cooled over the weekend, leaving City in pole position to land a player who was part of Jogi Low’s German squad for this summer’s European Championships.

Tiger Woods out of US PGA….

Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods has withdrawn from the US PGA, meaning he will miss all four majors in a calendar year for the first time since his Masters debut in 1995. American Woods, 40, has not played tournament golf in almost a year and had two operations last autumn in an attempt to cure a back problem. His agent has confirmed he will not play for the rest of this season as he is not ready for “competitive golf”. The 14-time major winner has dropped to a world ranking of 628.

Conte says Diego Costa will stay on at Chelsea….

Diego Costa

New Chelsea manager Antonio Conte says striker Diego Costa will stay at the club next season and is of “fundamental importance” to his plans. Spain international Costa has been linked with a return to former club Atletico Madrid. The 27-year-old has scored 36 goals in 77 games since joining Chelsea in 2014. “Diego stays with us. He is working very hard. He is very happy to work with his team-mates and with me,” said former Italy boss Conte. “He is a fantastic player, a player with a fundamental importance, and there is no problem. “He is an important player, one of the best in the world, and I am sure when he goes into our ideas he will score a lot of goals for us.”

Demba Ba will not retire after injury….

Demba Ba

Former Premier League striker Demba Ba says he will not retire after suffering a career-threatening broken leg. Ba, now playing for Shanghai Shenhua, collapsed during a challenge in a Chinese Super League match, with his left leg giving way beneath the knee. After the match, the Senegal forward’s coach Gregorio Manzano said the injury “could end his professional career”. “This is a really bad injury but I can overcome it. I won’t call time on my career, that’s for sure,” said Ba, 31. The former West Ham, Newcastle and Chelsea forward added: “The season here ends in November and the new one starts in March. I’ll do my best to return in time for the season after that.” Ba, who joined Shenhua from Turkish club Besiktas for about £12m last July, is the top scorer in the Chinese Super League with 14 goals in 18 games.

Wes Morgan signs new Leicester City deal….

Wes Morgan

Leicester City captain Wes Morgan has signed a contract extension to keep him at the club until June 2019. The 32-year-old defender played every minute in the league last season as the Foxes won the Premier League title. Morgan joined Leicester from Nottingham Forest in January 2012 and has made 182 league appearances for the club. “To commit my future to Leicester City is a wonderful feeling. Everyone knows how I feel about playing for this club,” he told the club website. “Lifting that Premier League trophy was a moment I will never forget and it’s still sinking in. Now we’ve got to give it everything to defend it as well as showing what we can do in the Champions League.” Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri described Morgan as a “leader and a warrior”, adding: “It’s a wonderful time to be part of this team. Now we have another huge season ahead of us and we need him.”

Paul Le Guen has no deal with Nigeria Football Federation….

Paul le Guen

Paul Le Guen will not be taking up a role as Nigeria’s new technical adviser, despite an announcement from the country’s football federation. He had been named by the NFF, which said he would work alongside Salisu Yusuf, who was named chief coach. But the two parties could not come to a deal over a contract. The NFF said it had not been able to reach agreement on targets for the job, or over where the coach would be based. The Secretary-General of the NFF said that Le Guen had “rejected our terms”. French football reporter Hervé Penot, a friend of the coach said that Le Guen had had discussions but had never agreed a deal. “He met the president of the federation, his requests were not met so that was it – it was finished,” he said. A later statement from the NFF said it had “no issue with Le Guen saying he is not coming; several highly-qualified persons would be happy to coach Nigeria.” Sunday Oliseh was the Super Eagles’ last permanent coach before he quit in February in a row over his contract. Yusuf was in charge of the Super Eagles for friendly wins against Mali and Luxembourg in May. Nigeria have failed to qualify for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations finals in Gabon, but are in the final round of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. They have been drawn in Group B where they will face Algeria, the top-ranked side in Africa, Cameroon, as well as Zambia. The NFF’s technical committee had also recommended that former Super Eagles assistant coach Bitrus Bewarang be given the role of national technical director.