Archive | March 8, 2017

Ranieri turns down Wolfsburg job….

Former Leicester City boss Claudio Ranieri

Former Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri reportedly turned down an offer from Wolfsburg to become their new manager. Ranieri, who was controversially sacked after leading the club to the Premier League title last season, was approached by the German side, but was said to be not interested in taking on a new post so soon after leaving the champions. Wolfsburg were on the hunt for a new manager after they sacked Valerien Ismael with the Bundesliga outfit loitering just above the relegation zone following a series of poor results. Ismael’s final game in charge was a 2-1 home defeat to fellow strugglers Werder Bremen on February 24 and their search for a replacement tied in with Ranieri’s sacking. It is believed the 65-year-old Italian was unwilling to move straight into a new role following the disappointment of being sacked by Leicester City.

Ibrahimovic banned for three games….

Bournemouth defender Tyrone Mings (left) and Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has accepted a three-match ban for violent conduct for elbowing Bournemouth’s Tyrone Mings during Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Old Trafford. The Manchester United striker will miss Monday’s FA Cup quarter-final at Chelsea and Premier League games against Middlesbrough and West Brom. Mings was also charged with violent conduct by the Football Association. But Bournemouth have said they will appeal against the defender’s charge. Ibrahimovic, who is United’s leading scorer this season with 26 goals, is eligible to play in the Europa League tie against Rostov in Russia on Thursday. He is due to return in the Premier League against Everton on 4 April.

Continue reading

Serena Williams pulls out of Indian Wells with injury….

Serena Williams won her 23rd Grand Slam at this year's Australian Open - an Open era record

World number one Serena Williams says a knee injury has forced her to pull out of this week’s BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells. Williams, 35, said she will also miss the Miami Open later this month. The American, who won an Open era record 23rd Grand Slam at the Australian Open earlier this year, said: “I have not been able to train due to my knees.” She added she would return “as soon as I can”. Indian Wells organisers said a revised draw would be issued later. Williams only returned to the Californian tournament in 2015 after a 14-year boycott following claims she had suffered racist abuse at the venue. Her withdrawal means Germany’s Angelique Kerber is set to replace her as world number one.