Frenchman Alain Giresse has been appointed coach of Mali for the second time. The former France international was coach of the west African country from 2010 to 2012, taking them to third place at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations but quit soon after when he rejected new contract terms. Giresse had been Senegal coach for the last two years but his contract was not renewed after they failed to get out of their group at the last Cup of Nations earlier this year.
Russian side Torpedo Moscow are ordered to play two home matches behind closed doors after Zenit striker Hulk suffered racist abuse from their fans. The Brazil international was targeted in Sunday’s Premier League match, where he scored to earn a 1-1 draw for Zenit. “Due to the offensive racial behaviour of the Torpedo fans towards Hulk we have fined the club 300,000 roubles ($4,900) and they will have to play two home league matches behind closed doors,” says Russian Football Union disciplinary committee chief Artur Grigoryants. “If there is a repeat of this racial abuse there will be an even stronger punishment next time.”
Floyd Mayweather, the five-division world champion has a share of the biggest purse in boxing title fight history, and rather than put it in an ISA or fix up the shed, Mayweather has decided to spend it with typical extravagance, splashing out $4000 a day on the services of a top chef. Las Vegas-based gastronomer Chef Q is the lady tasked with making sure Pretty Boy Floyd is in the right shape to take on Manny Pacquaio welterweight unification bout on 2 May. “His favourite dish is spaghetti or tacos,” Chef Q tells TMZ. “But for the Manny Pacquiao fight, he’ll be focusing on high-levels of protein with no carbs: turkey, chicken, beef and fish.”
Sunderland winger Adam Johnson will return to training after the Premier League announce his suspension following arrest has been lifted. The 27-year-old England international’s police bail has been extended following his arrest on suspicion of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl. Johnson is available to play in the Black Cats’ visit to West Ham on Saturday.
Bolivia have pulled out of the international friendly against the Super Eagles billed for Uyo on March 26, 2015. The Bolivian Football Federation said on its websites that it had to rescind the decision to face Nigeria because of “civil war which is going through Nigeria.” However, La Razon, a Bolivian newspaper noted that the FBF called the game off owing to security fears as the game comes up two days before Nigeria’s highly heated presidential elections. “The armed conflict in Nigeria has forced the cancellation of the game,” said president of the FBF, Carlos Chavez, in a press conference in Santa Cruz de la Sierra. “That game is not going to be held. Now the FBF seeks to raise a strong defence because Nigerians will protest and request sanctions for non-compliance.” La Razon had earlier reported that the Bolivian FA was engaged in talks on how to withdraw from the friendly “with the intention of avoiding a financial penalty for breach of contract” though a decision has been taken to withdraw. Chavez is now hoping that there will be no financial implication for breach of contract with Full Play and Fifa match agent Jairo Pachon. The Nigeria Football Federation had said that the game would go on after the Bolivian head coach, Mauricio Soria, called for the game to be cancelled. Nigeria will play South Africa on March 29 at the Mbombela Stadium in Nelspruit.