Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are among the top five earners in Major League Soccer, with ex-Real Madrid star Kaka the league’s highest-paid player. Former Liverpool and England captain Gerrard, 35, is paid a total of $6,132,500 by LA Galaxy. Fellow midfielder Lampard, 37, who joined New York City last year, earns $6,000,000. Former world player of the year Kaka, 34, earns a league-record $7,167,500 at Orlando City. The lowest-paid player in the league, according to the figures released by MLS Players’ Union, is Montreal’s Belizean forward Michael Salazar. The 23-year-old collects $51,492 a year – a sum Kaka can earn in less than three days.
MLS top five earners
1. Kaka (Orlanda City) Salary: $7,167,500
2. Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto) Salary: $7,115,556
3. Michael Bradley (Toronto) Salary: $6,500,000
4. Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy) Salary: $6,132,500
5. Frank Lampard (New York City) Salary: $6,000,000