Archive | November 8, 2016

Naki acquitted in Facebook post trial….

We told you earlier about former Germany Under-20 midfielder Deniz Naki going on trial for promoting the Kurdish PKK rebel cause. Well he was acquitted after a court session which lasted only 35 minutes, according to reports. The 27-year-old was prosecuted for a message he posted on Facebook after scoring the winning goal for his Turkish club Amed SK, in a crucial match in January. He dedicated that victory to victims of the Kurdish conflict. He is Alevi-Kurdish and moved to Turkey in 2013. The charge could have resulted in Naki getting five years in jail. He argued that his Facebook post was intended as a message of peace.

Advertisements

Madrid confirm Kroos’ broken metatarsal….

Toni Kroos

Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after Real confirmed the German has broken a metatarsal in his right foot.

Hull’s Hernandez out for around a month….

abel Hernandez

Hull City striker Abel Hernandez will be out for around a month with a groin injury he picked up in the weekend’s win against Southampton. The Uruguayan was forced off inside the first 25 minutes at the KCOM Stadium on Sunday and manager Mike Phelan said “the signs aren’t very good” after the match. Fellow striker Will Keane limped off with a knee injury and further tests are needed to learn the extent of the former Manchester United man’s problem.

German footballer on trial in Turkey….

Deniz Naki playing for SC Paderborn

German-born footballer Deniz Naki is going on trial in Turkey charged with spreading terrorist propaganda and supporting the banned Kurdish PKK guerrillas. Naki, 27, is ethnically Alevi-Kurdish and now plays in Turkey for third-tier side Amed SK. The Turkish charges relate to a message he posted on Facebook after scoring the winning goal for his club Amed SK in January. He dedicated the team’s victory to victims of the Kurdish conflict. If found guilty he could go to jail for up to five years. He is also currently under a 12-match ban.

Henke takes interim Bundesliga job….

Bundesliga strugglers Ingolstadt have appointed Michael Henke, the former Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund assistant boss, as their interim head coach. Markus Kauczinski was given the boot after Saturday’s 2-0 defeat by Augsburg. The 59-year-old also took temporary charge in September 2013.

Barcelona contest Messi yellow card….

Lionel Messi

Barcelona will appeal against Lionel Messi’s yellow card in Sunday’s 2-1 win over Sevilla. The Argentina forward was booked for time wasting as he attempted to put his boot back on after it had come off following a challenge from Steven N’Zonzi. Boss Luis Enrique said after the game that the delay was because N’Zonzi’s tackle had broken Messi’s laces. Yellow cards can be contested in Spain.

Zamalek reject coach’s resignation….

Momen Soliman

Zamalek have rejected the resignation of coach Moamen Soliman and his technical staff – rare but nothing too strange so far. Soliman’s decision to quit came after a 1-0 victory last weekend when he insisted his team did not deserve three points – odd. He took over as manager in August, and is the club’s sixth manager this season, and had already offered to step down once this season – maybe he’s trying to tell them something?

Osasuna sack coach Martin…

Enrique Martin

Enrique Martin spent his whole playing career with La Liga side Osasuna, barring a couple of loan spells. He coached the first team and the B team before being made manager in 2014-15 – during the club’s relegation battle against dropping into the third tier. He kept them up, then got them promoted last season. After one win in their opening 11 games this season, the 60-year-old has been given the boot however.

Stefano Pioli set for Inter Milan job….

Stefano Pioli

Inter Milan are set to name Stefano Pioli as their new coach. The 51-year-old, sacked by Lazio in April, is poised to replace Frank de Boer, who was sent packing on 1 November after 85 days in charge. Pioli’s first game would be the Serie A match against city rivals AC Milan at the San Siro on 20 November. Inter’s owners, the China-based Suning Commerce Group, have also replaced their chief executive Michael Bolingbroke.

New York City could extend Lampard stay….

Frank Lampard

New York City have until 31 December to trigger a one-year extension to Frank Lampard’s contract. Lampard, 38, played the final game of his initial two-year deal with the Major League Soccer outfit as they lost 5-0 to Toronto at Yankee Stadium. It completed an 8-0 aggregate defeat and eliminated NYC from the play-offs. Lampard, who signed for NYC after leaving Chelsea in 2014, has scored 12 times in 16 games this year, including a hat-trick against Colorado Rapids.