Southampton boss Ronald Koeman says Nathaniel Clyne’s future needs to be sorted before the end of the season. The 24-year-old, who joined from Crystal Palace in July 2012, is under contract until the summer of 2016. The England defender has been linked to a number of clubs and recently said he believed the Champions League was the “next step” in his progression. “We are talking to Clyne and his agent. We can’t wait until the end of the season,” Koeman told BBC Radio Solent. “It’s not like we need to know today or tomorrow but we are talking to them and we will try to do everything to keep the player but you need both parties for that.” Earlier in the week, Clyne said: “I’m flattered by the interest from the big clubs. It shows that I’m doing well and I’ve had a good season. “I’m definitely ambitious. Every player would love to be playing in the Champions League and winning trophies and titles. That’s what you play football for – that’s the dream. “I think I need experience playing European football. We’re doing well with Southampton and hopefully we can get there. “That would be great. So I’m just concentrating on Southampton. There are a few more games to play, so I’m just concentrating on getting to the fourth spot.” Clyne was rested at the weekend but Koeman said it was not contract related and that he would return for Saturday’s game at Stoke.