Britain’s Amir Khan will fight Mexico’s Saul Alvarez for the WBC world middleweight title on 7 May in Las Vegas. Khan, 29, a former light-welterweight world champion, has not fought since outpointing Chris Algieri in New York in May. Alvarez, 25, beat Miguel Cotto by a unanimous points decision to claim the title in Las Vegas in November. Alvarez has lost once and won 46 of his 48 fights. The fight has been set at a catchweight of 155lb, eight more than Khan weighed in victory against Algieri and a jump of two weight divisions. The usual weight limit for middleweight is 160lb, but Alvarez’s last few fights have had the same weight stipulation. Khan’s announcement also rules him out of a fight against IBF welterweight champion and domestic rival Kell Brook at Wembley on June 4.
David Haye says he would not have a problem with Frank Bruno fighting again – as long as the 54-year-old was up against boxers of the same age. Bruno, a former world heavyweight champion, announced on Monday that he wanted to get in the ring again. He later tweeted that the British Boxing Board of Control would not grant him a license. Haye says Bruno should not be allowed to fight younger boxers but says a bout with other veterans may be an option.
Brazilian footballer Neymar is due to give evidence in a Spanish court over allegations of tax fraud surrounding his transfer to Barcelona in 2013. The current and former president of the club denied wrongdoing at the court in Madrid on Monday. Barcelona said it paid Brazilian club Santos €57m for Neymar, 23, with his parents receiving €45m of the fee. But investigators allege the fee was closer to €83m and that Barcelona should have paid another €13m in tax.
Arsenal defender Mathieu Debuchy has joined Ligue 1 side Bordeaux on loan for the rest of the season. It is understood Arsenal blocked a possible move to Manchester United for Debuchy, who joined the Gunners from Newcastle for £12m in July 2014. The France international, 30, has made just seven appearances for Arsenal this season and not figured since November. The right-back has been allowed to return to France for the chance of first-team football ahead of Euro 2016.
There is no chance that the Rio Olympics will be cancelled because of a Zika virus outbreak, Brazil has said. The authorities said there was no risk to athletes and spectators – except pregnant women – at the August event. Earlier, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned a disease linked to Zika posed a global public health emergency requiring a united response. The infection has been linked to cases of microcephaly, in which babies are born with underdeveloped brains. Experts are worried that the mosquito-borne virus in Latin America is spreading far and fast, with devastating consequences.
Scottish premier league club Heart of Midlothian have signed striker Abiola Dauda on loan after agreeing to sell top-scorer Osman Sow for a fee in excess of £1m to an as yet un-named Chinese club. Dauda, 27, a Nigerian with Swedish citizenship, arrives on loan from Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem until the end of the season. He has previously won league titles with Red Star Belgrade in Serbia and Kalmar in Sweden. “He’s got pace, power, I’m sure he’ll score goals,” said Robbie Neilson.
Bayern Munich have strengthened their squad by signing defender Serdar Tasci on loan from Spartak Moscow until the end of the season. Tasci, 28, has been capped 14 times by Germany and was at Stuttgart in 2007 when they won the Bundesliga. “Thanks to his quality and experience, he’s in a position to help us at once,” said Bayern’s sporting director Matthias Sammer. Javi Martinez and Jerome Boateng are among several Bayern players injured. Tasci has been at Spartak since 2013 and has started 16 of their 18 league games this season. Bayern have the option to make the signing permanent.
Stoke have broken their transfer record to sign midfielder Giannelli Imbula from Porto for a fee of £18.3m on a five-and-a-half-year contract. The 23-year-old became Portuguese football’s record signing when he joined Porto in a £15.1m deal from Marseille seven months ago. He has played for France Under-21s, but could also play for Belgium. Imbula, who started his career at Guingamp, played in both of Porto’s Champions League games against Chelsea this season. Potters chairman Peter Coates told BBC Radio 5 live: “If he is as good as we think he is, he’ll keep his value. You’ve got to think of it from a business point of view. We want him to be worth more than we paid for him. “This move has been on and off for a few days. We said we were withdrawing the offer, then they came back.”
Floyd Mayweather says he has had “crazy numbers” thrown at him to fight again. But despite offers of “nine-figure” sums of money, Mayweather, who retired after his 49th successive victory last September, is not planning a comeback. “As of right now, I am out completely,” said the 38-year-old multiple world champion. “If I do get the itch to come back, it really won’t be for the money but I have to get paid. That’s why the nickname is Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather.” American Mayweather won world titles at five weights and retired with an unblemished record.
Inter Milan boss Roberto Mancini has been given a one-game ban after he made an insulting gesture during Sunday’s Milan derby defeat. The ex-Manchester City manager was dismissed for dissent as Inter lost 3-0 to fierce rivals AC Milan in Serie A. Mancini was upset his side was not awarded a penalty after a challenge between Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma and Inter striker Eder. The 51-year-old has also been fined 5,000 euros. Serie A’s disciplinary tribunal said on Monday that Mancini “made a derogatory remark to the fourth official when he was removed and then addressed the spectators with an insulting gesture”. He also used offensive language towards a television presenter during an interview after the match but that issue was not mentioned in the tribunal’s report. Mancini will now watch from the stands when Inter host Chievo on Wednesday.