Friday’s FIFA presidential election will go ahead as planned after candidate Prince Ali bin al-Hussein lost a bid to have it suspended. Prince Ali, 40, is unhappy with voting arrangements but the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) rejected his case. The Jordanian wanted transparent voting booths to ensure the election, to find Sepp Blatter’s successor, is fair. “I have done all I can. I regret that the system let us down,” he said. “It is now imperative that voters abide by the ban on mobile phones and cameras in the voting booth. “I look forward to Friday’s vote and remain as committed as ever to the goal of reforming FIFA.” World football’s election commission rejected Prince Ali’s original request to suspend it if it could not “ensure that the vote is conducted in secret” and CAS ratified that decision on Wednesday. Ali wants to ensure delegates do not photograph their ballot papers when they choose the next president, claiming they could be put under pressure to produce evidence of their vote to interested parties.
Outgoing FIFA president Sepp Blatter and suspended Uefa boss Michel Platini have had bans from all football-related activities upheld. But the suspensions have been reduced from eight to six years by FIFA’s appeals committee. Both were found guilty of breaches surrounding a $2m disloyal payment to Platini. They both deny any wrongdoing and have said they will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Blatter and Platini said the payment honoured a verbal or gentleman’s agreement made in 1998 for work carried out by the Frenchman when he was a technical advisor for Blatter. Blatter, 79, added in a statement that he was “very disappointed by the appeal committee of FIFA”. Platini, 60, said it was “insulting and shameful” and a “political decision”. The committee said “activities and services rendered to FIFA, UEFA and football” was a mitigating factor. FIFA’s presidential election is due to take place on Friday to find Swiss Blatter’s replacement. FIFA boss since 1998, Blatter had already announced he was quitting after reports emerged he was under investigation in the United States. Platini had been tipped as a future leader of football’s world governing body and is a three-time European Footballer of the Year.
Nigerian youngster and Manchester City forward, Kelechi Iheanacho is pictured with teammate Sergio Aguero as they travelled to Kiev where they have a Champions league game with Dynamo Kiev today. Kelechi once said he is learning a lot from Aguero, Bony and other senior players of his team. All the best to Kelechi and the Man City team.