Archive | February 16, 2016

UEFA Champions League results….

John Obi Mikel and Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Tuesday 16 February, 2016:

Benfica 1 – 0 Zenith

Paris St. Germain 2 – 1 Chelsea

Serena Williams pulls out of Qatar open….

Serena Williams

Serena Williams has withdrawn from her second consecutive tournament, after announcing she will miss next week’s Qatar Open because of the flu. The number one-ranked Williams pulled out of this week’s Dubai Tennis Championships on Saturday, also citing illness. “I have come down with the flu and do not feel 100% and I need to take this time to recover,” said the American. Williams last played in the Australian Open final, losing to Angelique Kerber.

Kenya’s athletics chief wants to step down….

https://i2.wp.com/d1udmfvw0p7cd2.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/sp-WADA-a-20160213.jpg?resize=514%2C324

The chief executive of Athletics Kenya wants to step down temporarily amid allegations he asked athletes for bribes to reduce doping bans. Isaac Mwangi denies wrongdoing but wants to leave his post for 21 days while world governing body the IAAF investigates the claims. The World Anti-Doping Agency said it was “most disturbed” by the claims. “The allegations have caused me a lot of mental anguish,” Mwangi said in a letter to Athletics Kenya. “I am anxious to have my name cleared.”

Herve Renard is new Morocco coach….

https://i2.wp.com/www.kingfut.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Herv%C3%A9-Renard.jpg?w=714

Former Ivory Coast boss Herve Renard has been appointed as the new coach of Morocco to replace Badou Zaki. Renard led Ivory Coast to the Africa Cup of Nations title in 2015, three years after winning it with Zambia. After his Nations Cup victory with the Elephants Renard left to take over at French club Lille in May but was sacked in November. Zaki left as coach of the Atlas Lions by mutual consent on 10 February. Renard’s first competitive games with Morocco will be home and away 2017 Nations Cup qualifiers against Cape Verde at the end of March. The two sides are currently top of Group F having won both their matches so far, Libya and Sao Tome are the other teams in the pool. The Atlas Lions have also progressed to the final round of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.

UEFA Champions League fixtures….

https://i0.wp.com/d1bez7r3o7wd77.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/PSG-Vs-Chelsea.jpg?w=714

Tuesday 16 February, 2016:

Benfica vs Zenit  08:45pm

Paris St Germain vs Chelsea 08:45pm

Wednesday 17 February, 2016:

KAA Gent vs VfL Wolfsburg 08:45pm

Roma vs Real Madrid 08:45pm

Cahill’s Chinese career over….

Cahill's Chinese career over

Australia’s top goalscorer Tim Cahill has had his contract terminated by Chinese club Shanghai Greenland Shenhua a year after he joined. The 36-year-old former Everton star agreed to extend his stay just months ago, but said on Instagram: “I’m very sorry to announce that I have reached an agreement with Shanghai Shenhua to terminate my contract. I’m not part of the new coach Manzano’s plans for the 2016 season.” Cahill, one of the biggest foreign names in the Chinese Super League, said he was “very sad”, adding: “Regardless of whether my contract is being honoured and paid out in full, I would much rather have seen it out.”

Jelavic tranfers to China….

https://i1.wp.com/i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7147786.ece/ALTERNATES/s1023/FA-Cup-3rd-round-action.jpg?resize=487%2C324

West Ham striker Nikica Jelavic has joined Chinese second division side Beijing Renhe for about £2m. The 30-year-old Croatia international has made one Premier League start this season under compatriot Slaven Bilic. He follows Chelsea’s Ramires, who joined Jiangsu Suning for £25m last month, while striker Jackson Martinez joined Guangzhou Evergrande for £31m. The Colombian left Atletico Madrid for the Chinese Super League side, breaking the Asian transfer record. Jelavic signed for West Ham for £3m from Hull in August 2015, but has scored only once in the league despite making 12 appearances from the bench. He previously played for Everton and Rangers.

Court freezes Neymar’s assets….

A file picture dated 7 November 2015 shows FC Barcelona's Brazilian striker Neymar during a training session in Barcelona.

A court in Brazil has frozen assets of football star Neymar. The federal court in Sao Paulo announced it was issuing warrants to freeze almost $50m worth of assets belonging to the Brazil and Barcelona striker. They include a yacht, a jet and several properties. Neymar, 23, is accused of tax evasion between 2011 and 2013 and faces legal proceedings. He has denied any wrongdoing.

Continue reading