Archive | September 1, 2016

Victor Anichebe to Arsenal?….

The powerful forward has not played since April and is currently without a club

Lol. Forward Victor Anichebe has been without a club since he was released by West Brom in May. But the 28-year-old Nigerian sent social media into a mini-meltdown when he tweeted that he was “on my way to the Emirates”. It seems than Anichebe was just making his own fun. Maybe his joke served a dual purpose though. Both Hull and Stoke are reportedly interested in signing up Anichebe in deals that – because they involve a free agent – could be completed after the deadline.

Advertisements

Formular 1’s Massa to retire at end of the season….

Felipe Massa

Williams driver Felipe Massa has announced that he will retire from Formula 1 at the end of the season. The 35-year-old Brazilian has started 242 grands prix since making his debut in 2002, winning 11 of them.  He came within a few hundred metres of winning the world title in 2008 when Britain’s Lewis Hamilton overtook Timo Glock at the final corner of the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix.

Tearful Schweinsteiger says “auf wiedersehen”….

Bastian Schweinsteiger

An emotional Germany captain Bastian Schweinsteiger was left in tears as he made his final international appearance last night. The 32-year-old, currently frozen out at Manchester United, was overcome during a presentation before Germany’s 2-0 friendly win over Finland in Monchengladbach. “It means so much that you’re here today. It has been an honour to play for you,” he told the crowd. “I think you all saw how it affected me. I had just wanted to enjoy every moment, but I hadn’t expected it to be so lovely.” Schweinsteiger, who was substituted to a standing ovation after 66 minutes, ends his international career with 121 caps and 24 goals and was part of Germany’s 2014 World Cup-winning squad.

Continue reading

Kenneth Omeruo joins Alanyaspor on loan….

Chelsea defender Kenneth Omeruo believes his loan move to Turkey’s Alanyaspor is his biggest challenge. The 22-year-old Nigeria international has yet to play for the Blues since signing in January 2012 and has now been sent on loan for a fourth time. “The focus right now is to play regularly and establish myself here,” Omeruo said. “I know what to expect joining a team with big ambitions – it means the bar has been raised even higher.” The season-long move to Turkey is a swift return to the Super Lig for centre-back Omeruo after a loan stint at Kasimpasa last term. He was a regular in the Kasimpasa side, making 26 appearances, but the Turkish club could not take up the option to buy him at the end of his loan spell.

Continue reading

Moussa Sissoko joins Tottenham….

Moussa Sissoko poses with the Spurs shirt after his late move to White Hart Lane

Tottenham Hotspur made an 11th-hour bid to snatch midfielder Moussa Sissoko from under the noses of Everton after manager Mauricio Pochettino told chairman Daniel Levy to get him the midfielder. Everton looked set to sign Sissoko after matching Newcastle United’s £30million valuation of the player, to be paid in instalments. But Sissoko failed to return the calls of Everton manager Ronald Koeman and did not show up to discuss personal terms or take a medical, which allowed Spurs to act. Tottenham had earlier in the day seen a £15.75m offer for Sissoko rejected and claimed they would not meet Newcastle’s asking price. But with only an hour remaining until the transfer window shut, Tottenham dramatically matched Everton’s £30m bid with Sissoko favouring a move to White Hart Lane. It is understood Tottenham’s change of heart came after Pochettino told Levy that he wanted Sissoko, no matter of the cost. The U-turn went against the favoured policy of both Pochettino and Levy not to spend more than £20m on players aged over 25, but it was agreed that 27-year-old Sissoko was the best player Spurs could get at such a late stage.

Continue reading

Arbeloa joins West Ham….

Alvaro Arbeloa has joined Slaven Bilic's side having signed as a free agent 

West Ham have signed former Real Madrid full-back Alvaro Arbeloa on a one-year deal. The 33-year-old, a member of Spain’s 2010 World Cup-winning squad, was a free agent having been released by the European champions in the summer. “Hopefully I’m going to see the London Stadium full with all our fans and I’m really happy to be here,” he said. Arbeloa already has Premier League experience having initially left Real in 2007 to sign for Liverpool. He rejoined the Spanish club in 2009 and helped them to two Champions League titles, the La Liga championship and two Copa del Rey crowns. Arbeloa added: “For me, this is a great chance to be back in England and in the Premier League, which is a fantastic league and I want to put myself here again.” Meanwhile, West Ham have released midfielder Diego Poyet by mutual consent. The 21-year-old departs the Hammers having made 10 appearances in all competitions in his two years with the club.

Wilshere joins Bournemouth on loan….

Jack Wilshere

Bournemouth have signed England midfielder Jack Wilshere on loan from Arsenal until the end of the season. The move comes after it was announced earlier this week that Arsenal would be willing to let the 24-year-old go out on loan in order to get regular first-team football. And the midfielder has opted for a spell at Bournemouth, despite interest from Crystal Palace, Roma and AC Milan.

Mario Balotelli joins Nice…

Mario Balotelli has left Liverpool and joined Ligue 1 club Nice on a free transfer. The Italian striker spent most of Tuesday on the south coast of France where he agreed to a permanent move away from Liverpool. Palermo had also expressed an interest in Balotelli who has not played for Liverpool since April 2015, having moved to Anfield the previous summer. Balotelli joined the Reds from Milan in a £16m deal during a major recruitment haul in the summer of 2014, but has scored only four goals and just one in the Premier League. He spent last season on loan back at Milan and has made a total of just 28 appearances in two years for Liverpool. Liverpool had hoped that Mamadou Sakho would go out on loan but there was no deal before the deadline, so the centre-back stays at Anfield.

David Luiz returns to Chelsea….

Chelsea have re-signed Brazil defender David Luiz from Paris St-Germain for a fee of around £34m. The 29-year-old travelled to London for a medical as the Blues confirmed the signing of left-back Marcos Alonso from Fiorentina for a reported £23m. Luiz returns to Stamford Bridge on a three-year deal. He first joined the Blues from Benfica for £21.3m in January 2011, and made 143 appearances before leaving to join PSG for a reported £40m in 2014. Capped 56 times for his country, Luiz won the Champions League and FA Cup with Chelsea in 2012, as well as the Europa League a year later. “We had a fantastic story during my first time at the club,” said Luiz, who went on to lift two Ligue 1 titles with PSG. Meanwhile, Alonso moves to the Premier League for the third time in his career. The uncapped Spaniard, 25, played for Bolton 46 times from 2010 to 2013 before moving to Fiorentina, and had a four-month loan spell at Sunderland in 2014. “It’s time for me to win some titles,” Alonso said on Chelsea’s website. “It’s a step up in my career.” Cesar Azpilicueta is the first-choice left-back at Chelsea, who have loaned Baba Rahman to Schalke this summer. Meanwhile, Chelsea winger Juan Cuadrado, 28, has rejoined Juventus on a three-year loan deal.

Slimani joins Leicester City….

Islam Slimani

Leicester City have signed Islam Slimani from Sporting Lisbon for a fee believed to be a club-record £29m. The 28-year-old forward, who has agreed a five-year deal, left Algeria’s training camp to have a medical with the Premier League champions. He has been with Sporting since 2013 and scored 27 goals for the Portuguese side last season. He also scored twice at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil as Algeria reached the knockout stages for the first time. Meanwhile, Foxes midfielder Gokhan Inler, 32, has joined Besiktas.