The English Football Association has confirmed Sam Allardyce has left his position as England manager by mutual consent. Gareth Southgate would stand in as England manager pending when a new manager is announced. In a statement, the FA said: “Allardyce’s conduct, as reported today, was inappropriate of the England manager. “He accepts he made a significant error of judgement and has apologised. However, due to the serious nature of his actions, The FA and Allardyce have mutually agreed to terminate his contract with immediate effect.” “This is not a decision that was taken lightly but the FA’s priority is to protect the wider interests of the game and maintain the highest standards of conduct in football. “The manager of the England men’s senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times.”
Tyson Fury is moving closer to being stripped of his world heavyweight titles after the WBO gave him 10 days to clarify his medical status. Fury was due to defend his WBA and WBO belts against Wladimir Klitschko on October 29, but the fight was called off for a second time after his management team declared he was “medically unfit to fight”. The undefeated 28-year-old, who withdrew from the original July 9 date due to an ankle injury, could now lose his titles which he won when he ended Klitschko’s 11-year reign at the top in November last year.
The English Football Association is investigating allegations England manager Sam Allardyce used his role to negotiate a £400,000 deal and offer advice on how to “get around” rules on player transfers. The Telegraph has footage it says is from August of Allardyce meeting men claiming to represent a Far East firm where he appears to say third-party ownership rules can be avoided. The 61-year-old has yet to respond to the allegations, while the FA has asked to see the paper’s filmed recordings. It will meet on Tuesday morning when new chairman Greg Clarke and chief executive Martin Glenn must decide whether the issue is one of poor judgement or something more serious.
Yaya Toure says he was “very disappointed” at FIFA’s decision to disband its anti-racism task force. The Manchester City midfielder, who was a consultant to the task force, says the decision “makes no sense”. “I have experienced racism all my life, be that in the streets or in the stadiums,” Toure said in a statement. “When I received the letter telling me the FIFA task force was to be discontinued I was very disappointed. The letter listed the good work that had been carried out as a result of the task force’s advice and recommendations. “After failing to deal with racism sufficiently for decades – why stop when something is beginning to work? Are FIFA being complacent ahead of a World Cup in Russia? “My only hope is that FIFA have thought this through. The letter I received does not fill me with confidence. It will be the fans and players that suffer if FIFA do not get this right.” Meanwhile Toure trained today with the rest on the City squad ahead of their champions league game against Celtic tomorrow even though he is not eligible for selection having not been registered in Europe.