Pep Guardiola emerged victorious from his first Premier League battle with old adversary Jose Mourinho as Manchester City secured a fully deserved win in a frantic Old Trafford derby. Kevin de Bruyne’s cool finish and Kelechi Iheanacho’s tap-in after the Belgian hit the post put City in complete control as they outclassed Mourinho’s Manchester United for most of the opening 45 minutes. United were handed a lifeline just before the break when City’s debutant keeper Claudio Bravo summed up his desperately uncertain display by dropping a free-kick to allow Zlatan Ibrahimovic to pull a goal back. They mounted an aerial siege in front of the Stretford End but City held firm to maintain their position at the top of the table, coming closest to scoring when De Bruyne struck an upright from Leroy Sane’s pass.
- Jose Mourinho has won just three of his 17 meetings with Pep Guardiola (D6 L8).
- Manchester City secured their 50th Manchester derby win in all competitions.
- Against Man City, Man Utd posted their fourth lowest home possession figure in the Premier League since 2003-04 (39.9%).
- Kevin de Bruyne has been directly involved in 32 goals in 46 appearances in all competitions for Man City (17 goals, 15 assists).
- Kelechi Iheanacho has scored nine goals from just 13 shots on target in the Premier League.