Archive | October 21, 2016

Rummenigge says English clubs kidnap youngsters….

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

English clubs are effectively “kidnapping” young foreign players, says Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. The German champions are opening a new youth academy next summer in the north of the city. “We don’t want to bring some 10- or 11-year-old to Munich like the English do,” he told the club’s magazine. “You could almost speak of kidnapping with them and I would have moral reservations about that.” Clubs are not allowed to sign players aged under 18 from abroad, unless the deal meets one of three criteria – a player aged between 16 and 18 moving within the European Union/European Economic Area, a player moving less than 100km across an international border, or the parents moving to the new country for non-football reasons. “Our priority will certainly be Germany and Bavaria,” former international Rummenigge said. “Our future talented players will much rather come from Rosenheim than Rio.”

Advertisements

Holiday undergoes brain tumour operation….

.

US football player Lauren Holiday, who helped her team win the 2015 Women’s World Cup, has had a brain tumour removed. The two-time Olympic gold medallist was diagnosed when she was eight months pregnant, but opted to give birth before having the operation. She underwent open-heart surgery as a three-year-old before going on to score 24 goals in 133 appearances for the US.

English Premier League fixtures (21 -22 October, 2016)….

Saturday 22 October, 2016:

Bournemouth vs Tottenham Hotspur 12:30 pm

Arsenal vs Middlesbrough  3 pm

Burnley vs Everton 3 pm

Hull City vs Stoke City 3 pm

Leicester City vs Crystal Palace 3 pm

Swansea City vs Watford 3 pm

West Ham United vs Sunderland 3 pm

Liverpool vs West Bromwich Albion 5:30 pm

Sunday 23 October, 2016:

Manchester City vs Southampton 1:30 pm

Chelsea vs Manchester United 4 pm

Luka Modric extends Real Madrid contract….

Image result for pic of Luka Modric

Real Madrid have announced that Croatian midfielder Luka Modric has extended his contract to last until 2020. Modric joined Real from Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2012 and he has helped the club to win two Champions League titles during his time in Spain. “Real Madrid C. F. and Luka Modric have reached an agreement to extend the player’s contract with the club until 30 June 2020,” read a statement on Real Madrid’s website. He regularly plays next to Toni Kroos in the heart of the Real midfield, with the pair often dominating games together. Real remain undefeated in La Liga so far this season, having won five and drawn three of their opening eight games, but they sit behind arch rivals Atletico Madrid on goal difference. Modric has only appeared in half of those games, scoring once.

John Terry fit again for Chelsea….

.

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has confirmed that John Terry will be fit for Sunday’s game against Manchester United. “John Terry is in good shape and has been training well with the team. His ankle problem is solved,” Conte said. “It will be a tactical game on Sunday but he the fans have a big part to play and can be an advantage.”

Neymar signs new Barcelona deal….

Neymar

Neymar Jr has signed a new five-year deal to remain at Barcelona. The Brazilian superstar had earlier broken the news by posting a picture of himself on Twitter in the early hours of Friday morning confirming the news with a message in Portuguese saying, “I’m very happy to continue living this dream! Long live Barcelona and long live Catalunya!” And the club then confirmed the deal had been signed, with the prolific striker to remain at the Catalan giants until 2021. The 24-year-old has a €200 million buy-out clause – not quite the €1bn once reportedly slapped on Cristiano Ronaldo by Real Madrid, but enough to dissuade any serious purchasers.

Continue reading

Guardiola defends Aguero and Kompany exclusion from Barca game….

Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola had a press conference this afternoon ahead of the Sunday’s home game against Southampton and he was asked about the future of Sergio Aguero and Vincent Kompany.  Aguero started on the bench in their 4-0 defeat by Barcelona on Wednesday with Kompany not in the matchday squad. “They are the future for Manchester City,” says Guardiola. “Vincent Kompany was not perfect fit and that is why we took the decision.” And Aguero? “It was a tactical decision. I wanted one more midfielder, I tried to keep the ball in the Camp Nou and when you have the ball, Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez don’t. “I spoke with Sergio and he was understanding, I thought in the last 30 minutes, with the Barcelona centre-halves tiring, he could help a lot from the bench. When Sergio decides to leave it will be his decision. Next time before you (the media) decide he is not in my plans you can call me.”

Birthday of Sports People – 21st October….

Image result for pic of Nemanja Vidic visiting old trafford

Nemanja Vidic (Football) – The former Manchester United, Inter Milan and Serbia defender, born 1981, is 35 today.

Martin Castrogiovanni (Rugby) – Italy and Racing 92 prop, born 1981, is also 35.

Geoffrey Boycott (Cricket) – The former Yorkshire and England batsman and now media pundit, born 1940, is celebrating his 76th birthday.

Bernard Tomic (Tennis) – The Australian tennis player, born 1992, turns 24 today

Minsk to host European Games….

Athletes from Spain take photos during the closing ceremony of the Baku European Games

The 2019 European Games will take place in the Belarusian capital Minsk. The Games will see around 6,000 athletes compete across 20 sports. Belarusian president Alexander Lukashenko told the European Olympic Committee to “count on Belarus”. “We are not a superpower but we pay a lot of attention to sport,” he added.

Odemwingie training with Bolton….

Peter Odemwingie

Nigeria international striker Peter Odemwingie is keen to find a route back into football following an inactive six months. The 35-year-old, who spent three months on loan at Championship club Bristol City last season, was released by Stoke City in the summer. But the free agent, who has not played competitively since scoring twice in seven appearances for The Robins, believes he still has plenty to offer.

Continue reading

Atletico Madrid unable to sign players in January….

.

Atletico Madrid will not be able to sign players in the January window as they continue to contest a FIFA ban. The Spanish side – and rivals Real Madrid – were banned last January from registering players for two windows for breaching rules over the transfer of players under 18. However both were allowed to continue to make signings while they appealed. But Atletico have now agreed to “waive its right to seek the suspension of the ban for the winter transfer period”. Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will make a final decision by 1 June after Atletico’s first appeal – to FIFA in September – failed. A club statement, which reiterated that they are “completely unmoved in its position that the transfer ban is unjustified”, said it was “to ensure a procedural calendar that allows Atletico Madrid to fully present its appeal, while giving CAS sufficient time to thoroughly consider all the arguments”. Real are still allowed to sign players in January. La Liga champions Barcelona were given the same punishment for the same offence in April 2014 and were banned from signing players in both 2015 windows after failing in their appeals to FIFA and CAS.

Moses Odubajo out for six months….

Image result for pic of Moses Odubajo

Hull City defender Moses Odubajo may miss the whole season after sustaining his second serious knee injury in just over three months. The 23-year-old will have surgery next week after fracturing a kneecap during a non-contact training session. The club said Odubajo had been making “excellent strides” after dislocating the same kneecap in July. It added the ligaments he had reconstructed then “remain intact” and he would be out for about six months. Hull signed Odubajo for £3.5m in July 2015 and he made 45 appearances in the Championship as they won promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs. The player born Moses Adeshina Ayoola Junior Odubajo (born 28 July 1993) is an English professional footballer of Nigerian descent. He was orphaned at the age of 13 when his mother died of marlaria and from that age lived alone with his older brother Tom Bolarinwa, who now plays for League Two side Grimsby Town. It was reported on 4 December 2014 that Odubajo had been invited to a training camp with the Nigeria U23 squad, which he did not attend. He received his first call into the England U20 squad for friendlies against Mexico and the United States in March 2015 and he started in both matches. He was called into the U20 squad for the 2015 Toulon Tournament and played in four of England’s five matches as the Young Lions came up short to the United States in the third-place playoff.

Harry Redknapp and wife in bizarre car incident….

Harry escorts Sandra back from hospital to their home in Sandbanks

Harry Redknapp’s wife was seriously injured when she was run over by a Range Rover driven by the former football boss. Witnesses described seeing Sandra Redknapp, 69, get her coat caught under the car as her husband pulled away. The Sun newspaper reported Mrs Redknapp “yelling in pain” as she fell to the ground in Poole Road, Bournemouth. The wife of the former Tottenham Hotspur manager was rushed to hospital on Tuesday after the “freak accident”. The Sun reported that Mrs Redknapp had been dropped off at the shops by her husband in his Range Rover when she got her coat and foot caught. Mr Redknapp, also 69, had been dropping his wife off in Westbourne, which is four miles away from the couple’s £5m home in Sandbanks and reportedly didn’t realise that his wife was stuck and drove away.

Continue reading

Five countries face WADA sanctions….

Drug testing

Brazil, Greece and Indonesia are among five countries who may be added to the WADA – World Anti-Doping Agency’s “non-compliant” list. Azerbaijan and Guatemala are the other nations facing censure because of flaws in their drug testing programmes. The five countries have until 10 November to prove their compliance with Wada’s anti-doping code. Should they fail, they risk being declared non-compliant when Wada meets in Glasgow on 19 November.

Injury forces Nadal to end season early….

Image result for pic of Rafael Nadal waving his hand and leaving the court

Rafael Nadal has been forced to end his 2016 season early as he continues to recover from a wrist injury. The 14-time Grand Slam champion will not play at the Swiss Indoors in Basel, the Paris Masters, or the ATP Finals. Nadal, 30, withdrew from this year’s French Open because of the injury, which also ruled him out of Wimbledon. He said the “forced recovery” of returning to compete for Spain at the Olympics in August “has caused me pain since, and now I am forced to stop”. Nadal won gold with Marc Lopez in the men’s doubles in Rio, but missed out on a bronze medal to Japan’s Kei Nishikori in the men’s singles. “It is no secret that I arrived at the Olympic Games short of preparation and not fully recovered, but the goal was to compete and win a medal for Spain,” he added. “Now it is time to rest and start preparing intensively for the 2017 season.” After losing to world number 28 Viktor Troicki of Serbia in the Shanghai Masters second round earlier this month, Nadal said he had already switched his focus to next year. “I need to create pain for my opponent. It is something that is not happening very often now,” he said at the time. “I’ve two and a half months to put myself at the level I need.”